The Town of Bogue, North Carolina was incorporated in September of 1995. Residents wanted to keep the taxes as low as possible and to maintain a small town atmosphere. The name “Bogue” has been around for long time. The first historical reference found in the extensive files at Town Hall is from January 1713. “The Territory of Bogue was established by a grant to Dexter Ebenezer by the King of England”. There is a reference to a map dated 1738 showing Bogue Banks as being from Bogue Inlet to Beaufort Inlet. Also from these files there is a note on the name Bogue being a Choctaw word meaning bayou. Perhaps this is where it originated from or it could be from a family name Bogue from the late 1600’s. Another possibility is from a Spanish term referring to the leeward side. If there are professional or hobbyist historians interested in verifying the information the Town would appreciate your input. In any case it is the name we now have for our small community.
Today Bogue is known for its famous watermelon and other agricultural products sold at the farm stands. It is also known for Bogue Field, a Marine pilot training airfield that is part of MCAS Cherry Point in Havelock. Bogue Field was created in the 1940’s. The farmers and fishermen along with their families had to relocate from the “hammock” when the government established Bogue Field. Talk to some of the older residents and you will hear stories of the early days when the houses were moved to the north side of Highway 24.
The town maintains a unique serenity, buffering the hectic traffic of travelers along Highway 24. The fields of tobacco or cotton on the east end of town offer bucolic scenery. The Page’s horses in the field behind the Guthrie Farm Stand are occasionally visible. The sound of the military aircraft overhead reminds us of the freedoms we all enjoy. We are a small rural community in the midst of a highly visible tourist attraction – the beautiful coastline. Welcome and enjoy.